Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Cajun Hoppin' John (Black-Eyed Peas and Rice)



I typically serve this for New Year's, but didn't get around to it this year.  So, we had it a few days late.  It's similar to Cajun red beans and rice, but with black-eyed peas instead.  Since my boyfriend doesn't eat pork, I had to use smoked beef sausage this time, but I typically prefer andouille and a ham hock with this.  So, I will list the recipe as I usually make it.  I make mine spicy.  So, if you can't handle spice, decrease or omit the cayenne (although I think that ruins it).  


Ingredients:

2 tsp  freshly ground pepper
1 ½ tsp  cayenne pepper
1 ½ tsp paprika
1 tsp dry mustard
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp salt
Pinch of thyme
1 bay leaf
Few Tbsp of oil
1 ham hock
1 lb andouille sausage
1 onion
1 green bell pepper
2 stalks of celery
4-5 cans of black-eyed peas
about 1 cup of chicken stock (eye ball it)



Directions:

Add a lil oil to a stock pot or dutch oven like the one in my pic above.  Brown your ham hock (if using) on all sides.  Set aside.

Dice up your onion, bell pepper, and celery.  Slice your andouille.  If you need to, add a little more oil to your pot.  Saute the veggies and sausage over medium heat until the onions are clear and the sausage starts to brown.  Add about a half cup of chicken stock to the pan to deglaze.  Scrape up all the browned bits.

Add 2 cans of black-eyed peas undrained.  Drain the other 2 cans.  Stir.  The liquid should just cover everything.  The consistency of a stew is what you're looking for, but not a soup.  If you need to, add a little more stock.  

Add your spices.  Stir well.

Bring to a boil.  Stir often to prevent sticking.  Lower the heat to low to med-low.  Simmer with the lid off until the liquid reduces some.  When you reach almost the right thickness, cover.  I like to cook these over low for at least an hour or two.  You'll know they're done when the sauce is thick.  The beans thicken so well on their own.  So, I rarely make a roux for this.  

Taste test to see if you need more seasonings.  Then serve over white rice.  This is good with cornbread or french bread.


No comments:

Post a Comment